Tuesday, March 29, 2011

That's not vulgar - it's sweet potato and bulgur!

This is my first post about food, and I don't have any pics (cuz I wuz hungry!). The first item is one of those simple combinations that you could go for years without ever hearing about. Suddenly, it crosses your radar, and you think "WOW! Why didn't I think of that sooner?"  It could be something in an article or that someone else mentions, or you could put it together by accident (or when you are desperate).
 For instance, I was talking to an online friend and I mentioned peanut butter and banana sandwiches. Apparently her husband burst out laughing, so she made him one, and he loved them! (He called them Crazynance sandwiches- as if I'd invented them.)


So today I had leftov-..er, Srevotfel for lunch, and there were containers of sweet potato (plain, boiled) and bulgur (equally plain and boiled). Together, they are the perfect complement of sweet and texture. Bulgur is high fibre with protein and iron, and sweet potato is high fibre with some protein, iron, vitamin C, and is a vitamin A superstar.  (according to http://nutritiondata.self.com/)
I started with a yummy navel orange and a big salad of: red leaf lettuce, spinach, yellow peppers, tomato, white onion, garlic, lemon juice, alfalfa sprouts, and dill. I added about 5 soaked raw almonds to my sp/b after I had nuked it. (no point ruining the nutritional value of lovely raw almonds, now, is there?)


This lunch was: easy to make, high fibre, lots of colour, flavour, and texture.   Why does my hubs think vegetarian food is boring?


If you want to take this lunch somewhere, just boil your sweet potato and bulgur (separately) the night before.  If you were not having it with salad,  you could always add fruit to the mix (it would be almost like a dessert!)

No comments:

Post a Comment